Greenwashing

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:01:51 UTC 2020

> Based on some of Walter's comments, it also sounds like he intends to make
> nothrow the default in another DIP, which is also a terrible idea. I'm
> increasingly worried about the future of D with some of where these DIPs are
> going.

In general, I think @safe, nothrow, @nogc, and pure by default have some
benefits on code that is actually compiled by a D compiler. Simply
because most of the time, code you write is generally in these
categories, but isn't marked as such.

Imagine instead of any of this, you simply wrote all functions that are
not marked as no-arg templates. This would change nothing (only one
symbol is generated anyway, Stefan), but provide a much better
experience for users who care about certain attributes.

Perhaps instead of making these things the default, we instead made
*inference* the default. Then we could have something like @noinfer
(please, this is not a proposal, don't focus on the name) which would
declare that you intend to make this something that the source code will
not be available.

Perhaps the focus on "X by default" is just looking at the wrong aspect.

-Steve