Preventing another 1028

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:05:19 UTC 2020

DIP 1028 is unsound.
DIP 1028 is deeply unpopular.
DIP 1028 is ridiculous.

How do we lessen the likelihood that DIPs like 1028 are accepted
in the future?

DIP 1028 survived veto because the DIP author had a very low bar
to jump over; he only had to convince one person that silently
and globally calling extern(C) safe was sane.  Here are some ways
to raise that bar:

1) Appoint an at-large language maintainer (LM) that steps in
whenever either of the two LMs author a DIP.

2) Appoint an "emeritus" LM that can veto DIPs but is not
required to actively approve them.  Andre?

3) Increase the number of LMs.

4) Some combination of the above.

If you have other, preferably simple, ideas on how to improve the
DIP process, please chime in.  We may hit on something that could
actually work.

If the LMs refuse amendment, and the governing docs provide no
relief, DIP process dysfunction will remain a "vote with your
feet" issue (the disaffected bleed away, growth stagnates, the
community becomes ever more cynical and withdraws from DIP
commentary, ...).

Finally, the elephant in the room: The DIP process would work
much much better if Walter could somehow learn to communicate
effectively in the forums.  Crucially, Walter often says that he
believes he's answered a concern when the other, often highly
respected, party most definitely believes he has not.  Evidently
it requires the patience of Job and the clarity of Timon to get
through to Walter.  Even that is not always enough.