Greenwashing

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu May 28 01:20:31 UTC 2020

On 5/27/20 8:59 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 00:51:52 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

>> Separate compilation may be a lot slower if inference must be done for
>> function bodies.
>
> Extremely unlikely - it already does those checks to confirm the
> annotation anyway!

This isn't something I thought of. I am surprised if the compiler
semantically analyzes only-imported functions. In fact, I'm almost sure
this doesn't happen (based on D's track record with unittests).

But in practice much of D is actually templates already. I doubt this
would have a tremendous impact.

In any case, this COULD be mitigated via some sort of intermediate form,
or .di files.

-Steve