Greenwashing

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:23:49 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 12:21:31 UTC, welkam wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 07:36:05 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>
>> tuning the hot path is still the way to go if you care for
>> speed.
>
> You havent done many optimizations have you?

For sure I have ...

> The few hot spots happens when you have a simple program or
> there were no attempts made to optimize the code.

Granted

> If you profile say DMD code you will find that there are no hot
> spots. If you want the code to be fast you need to care about
> all of it. Some parts need more attention than others but you
> still need to care about it.

I'm on that boat, but I think that this is not always the state
of affairs, it really depend on the domain of the application.

DMD codebase is well known, written since a couple of decades and
based (for the backend, for example) on the shoulders of DMC ...
and written by one of the most brilliant programmers in the whole
world ... Walter Bright: I will be surprised, if there's an hot
path to squeeze in it.

Anyway, I think you are right talking in general case, you still
need to care about the whole .. and, figure out, we work in the
real-time domain, as most of our customers are medical companies,
so I understand very well what you are referring to ... :-P