Greenwashing

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu May 28 15:30:22 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 15:12:56 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
>> Not sure I agree about that TBH.  Inferred-by-default just
>> means the function signature doesn't by default tell you
>> anything about what properties you can rely on, and any change
>> to the implementation may alter the available properties,
>> without any external sign that this has happened.
>
> 1. Templates already do this, and it has not been a problem
> (much of Phobos and much of what I've written is generally
> templates).

Yes, but the user tends to have a lot of control there in
practice, by what template arguments they pass.  So the template
is less of a black box of surprise.  I also think there's a bit
of an implicit motivation for an author of templated code to try
and _make_ the template args the dominant factor there (because
that makes the template more usable).