@safe/DIP1028 explained in meme form

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:59:36 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 12:16:37 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> he has said himself that safe by default is one of the highest
> priorities.

I've stated my position previously around these parts, but in
summary:

@safe and @pure by default is really important for asynchronous
code, and I'm all for it. I also think it's a big enough change
that it warrants a new major language version as it will provably
break old code and backwards compatibility will be a nightmare to
maintain.

But there's a meme for every occasion, and my view on the
outright hack to apply @safe to D2 code via this DIP is
summarised with:
https://media.giphy.com/media/dCdGHgF7yFHFK/200.gif

@safe and @pure is to guarantee my programmers don't write bad
code. @safe applied to code DMD cannot parse is leaving a hole in
the language security that needs to be measured in Astronomical
Units.