@safe/DIP1028 explained in meme form

Johannes Loher johannes.loher at fg4f.de
Thu May 28 21:24:37 UTC 2020

Am 28.05.20 um 23:09 schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:

> I have to say, if Walter convinced 2 people, or some other DIP author
> convinced Walter and Atila, I still wouldn't accept the result.
>
> I don't understand this discussion at all. The conclusion was just
> basically wrong. No matter how many people you convince that the Earth
> is flat, it's still not.
>
> -Steve

While there is strong scientific evidence that the earth is not flat,
it's not that easy to judge whether DIP1028 in its current for is good
or bad.

Personally, I agree with your opinion but not everybody does. And it is
still only an opinion (we cannot claim that it is the truth without
providing scientific evidence).

There are indeed some arguments that support Walter's point of view. And
while I think that they are outweighed by a large margin by the
arguments against the DIP, in the end it comes down to weighing these
arguments against each other. And apparently opinions regarding the
weight of these arguments differ a lot.