@safe/DIP1028 explained in meme form

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri May 29 00:15:43 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 22:54:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> We need a few more folks of Walter's caliber. Whom we don't
> have.

Let's, for sake of argument, assume this is true.

> he is just like anyone liable to make mistakes.

Indeed.

'nuff said, argument destroyed.

But let me expand anyway: Walter likes to talk about aviation
safety. A big part of that is remembering that all parts fail and
you need to make sure that a failed part isn't a disaster that
brings the airplane down. Right now we are very reliant on
perfect parts. A cheap way to improve this is redundancy -
engineering a 99.9% safe part is an enormous challenge, but
having two separate parts each 90% safe with a system that can
survive any one of them failing gives you that same 99.9%
reliability.

One of the important aspects of designing this system is ensuring
the backup system isn't linked to the primary system. Walter has
described how Boeing had two independent teams with a third team
just making sure the other two hadn't coincidentally came up with
the same conclusion or otherwise shared a failure mode.

We might not be able to achieve excellence in individual parts.
But we ought to be able to design a system that's greater than
the whole of its parts. A big part of that is redundancy, yes,
but it is also important to have variety, so the backup part
doesn't have the same failure characteristics as the primary.

We shouldn't be looking for two Walters. (well ok, having two
Walters would be pretty cool. but not for this purpose). We need
diversity here. It is OK to make mistakes, but if the SAME
mistake is made at the same time, we haven't gained anything.