Greenwashing

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Fri May 29 06:22:44 UTC 2020

Am Thu, 28 May 2020 23:35:48 +0000 schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:

> On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 22:56:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Large projects separate compilation inter-procedural analysis does not
>> scale yadda yadda yadda.
>
> We need to stop making assertions without measurements. This may be
> true, but it needs to be based on empirical fact - the one thing we
> should notice is compile speed is sensitive to surprising things and not
> to other surprising things....

Unfortunately what really limits us here is the C/C++ toolchain ecosystem
(linker, library loader...). Ideally we'd do an attribute inference /
code generation / inline information generation (function
'classification') pass exactly once per module, then store the information
in some sort of compiled intermediary file. For (cross-module) inlining,
this is essentially what LTO does. But I don't know whether you could
include enough other information, such as function prototypes for all
analyzed functions...

Maybe it'd make sense to store this information to separate files, but
then it's more difficult again to integrate into current toolflows.

--
Johannes