Greenwashing

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri May 29 12:52:06 UTC 2020

On 5/28/20 7:35 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 22:56:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Large projects separate compilation inter-procedural analysis does not
>> scale yadda yadda yadda.
>
> We need to stop making assertions without measurements. This may be
> true, but it needs to be based on empirical fact - the one thing we
> should notice is compile speed is sensitive to surprising things and not
> to other surprising things....

Needs to be based in sound analysis, not measurements, as a quadratic is
not scalable regardless of the constant. When I was in the field there
was no escaping this fact, and all interprocedural analyses that did
anything interesting were limited to programs a few KB in size.

Perhaps things have improved since, and it would be great if they did.
Timon should know about this.