Greenwashing

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 20:55:59 UTC 2020

On Friday, 29 May 2020 at 20:02:37 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

>>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.14.0.0/docs/Control-Exception.html
>>>

>>> Furthermore, imperative-style code in Haskell is based on
>>> monads, which are a generalization of exceptions.
>>
>> I'm going to step up the pedantry and say that this proves my
>> assertion; Haskell (the language) gets along fine without
>> exceptions, but they're there for you to use as a library,
>> only if you want to.
>
> Prelude> case (1,1) of (2,2) -> 0
> *** Exception: <interactive>:4:1-24: Non-exhaustive patterns in
> case

Okay, I'll concede that one. I forgot that non-exhaustive
patterns throw exceptions; I thought I remembered them raising
errors.

Let's talk about Rust instead, then, which 100% absolutely does
not have exceptions. They seem to make do with Option/Result/try
(though I guess since they're monads you'd consider those
equivalent to exceptions, but they don't behave like exceptions
as they're just sugar over pattern matching).