Greenwashing

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Sat May 30 07:35:01 UTC 2020

On Friday, 29 May 2020 at 22:19:37 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> Personally, I think that it's great to spend time using a
> functional language as your main language for a while, because
> it forces you to get better at functional programming practices
> such as recursion - but it forces it by not letting you have
> the full toolbox like a multi-paradigm language does. I'm
> _much_ more comfortable with stuff like templates and
> range-based code than I would have been had I not spent a fair
> bit of time programming in Haskell previously, but honestly, I
> hate functional languages. They're far too restrictive, and I
> don't understand how anyone can seriously program in them
> professionally. Debugging Haskell is a disgusting, unpleasant
> process in comparison to an imperative or OO language. I highly
> recommend that programmers spend some time in functional land
> to improve their skills, but I would never want to program with
> such tools for a living.

If someone wants to practise or have fun with a functional
language, and at the some time have some concrete and good tool
for a real job, I suggest giving a try to Elm.

It's rock solid, and much more easy then Haskell (its compiler is
written in Haskell), and you can learn and be profitable in a
really short time.

Bonus point, fantastic error messages provided and ... well you
can avoid Javascript!