Improving the D documentation web presentation

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Sat May 30 20:16:59 UTC 2020

On Friday, 29 May 2020 at 21:12:18 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 29 May 2020 at 07:39:59 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
>> meh, still 1.1rem font size :p
>

> So after removing this some of the irc gang said they don't
> like how big the sidebar nav is.
>
> It is the same as it was before.... but with the main body
> shrunk and with the different fonts they look out of proportion.
>
> So my options seem to be:
>
> 1) tell users to deal with it 8)
>
> 2) change the nav font to match the body font. That's actually
> the way I used to do it but someone previously thought the code
> font looked better so I changed it... hesitant to change it
> back since I'm trying to please everyone.
>
> 3) Make the nav text a bit smaller, like 0.9rem or whatever.
>
> 4) put my precious 1.1rem back.
>

> What's your view?

hm one suggestion I have: change the width:70ch to width:78ch (3
alphabets) to make it look more fitting :p If it was 70ch on
1.1rem before, that makes 77 units which are 77ch on 1rem. 78ch
just to make it align with alphabets because everyone measures
text length in alphabets (26 chars) :p

Also about the CSS mess: I'm not changing the CSS actually, I use
the firefox stylesheet editor which just appends one CSS file to
the end. So if you copy paste my CSS definitions to the very end
of your CSS file it would work as expected, however actually
merging them properly is better maintenance-wise.