Better branding of -betterC

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Nov 1 01:26:28 UTC 2020

On 10/31/2020 9:22 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Saturday, 31 October 2020 at 01:57:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 10/29/2020 5:48 AM, Abdulhaq wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure that Jai is not mimicking D, also I doubt that Zig is either.
>>
>> D popularized CTFE, and other languages followed suit, including Jai.
>
> Sorry but that flag belongs to Lisp and Dylan macros, Java compiler plugins,
> Java/.NET manipulation of attributes/annotations

Those are not natively compiled languages, and the compiler is part of the runtime.

> and C++ template meta-programing.

Having implemented a full C++ compiler, I don't agree:

1. it was discovered as a side effect, not designed
2. it does not do iteration
3. it only does integers - not floating point, not strings, not pointers
4. it cannot allocate memory
5. it is incredibly limited
6. it cannot call or execute a single C++ function
7. C++ template metaprograms are limited to trivial ones, due to fundamental
problems with it

and, most tellingly,

8. C++ has gone on to copy D's CTFE

> D CTFE has definitely a very important value, but not everything that other
> languages adopt was created by D.

I did say popularized, not created. To round this out a bit, the C preprocessor
can do compile time computation, too, but to compare it to D's CTFE is like
comparing the pre-existing electric arc lamp to to Edison's incandescent bulb,
and saying the bulb wasn't revolutionary.