Better branding of -betterC

bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Nov 1 01:58:23 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 31 October 2020 at 20:17:02 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Saturday, 31 October 2020 at 19:31:56 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Saturday, 31 October 2020 at 17:18:30 UTC, Dibyendu
>> Majumdar wrote:
>>
>>> Zig seems like a copy of Jai.
>>
>> How do you copy vaporware? Or has there been a release of a
>> single line of compileable Jai that I missed?
>
> It is not vaporware.
> It is in closed beta right now.

While there is no official body that determines if something is
vaporware, my usage is very much consistent with Perl 6, which
was the most famous application of the term to a programming
language. Heavy hype, excitement over new features, claims
progress is being made, and a belief that there will eventually
be a release. It has been more than six years (assuming Wikipedia
is accurate) and we only have continued promises that Jai will
eventually be released. Here is an article from early 2007
talking about Perl 6 as vaporware, and the label was surely used
long before that:
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/geekend/transition-from-perl-5x-to-perl-6/

The most important lesson to be learned from the vaporware
version of Perl 6 is not that there won't be a release (it was)
but that the release won't be the same as the promise. Until Jai
is released we can only talk about Jonathan Blow's ideas. An idea
without an implementation is as useful as a car without gas.