Better branding of -betterC

user1234 user1234 at 12.de
Tue Nov 3 05:59:05 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 3 November 2020 at 05:26:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/1/2020 12:46 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
>> How is that relevant? There are natively compiled Lisps. Also,
>> to compile D at runtime, you need a D compiler as part of the
>> runtime environment. If you insist on singling out one
>> language that popularized CTFE, Lisp would be a much fairer
>> choice.
>
> It's been said that eventually all languages tend to adopt all
> the features of Lisp. But that doesn't mean that Lisp
> popularized those features. After all, Lisp is one of the
> original programming languages, and if it popularized CTFE then
> C, C++, Pascal, etc., would have had it long ago.

Well CTFE in my opinion is mostly useful as part of
metaprogramming and code-generation so this explains the case of
Pascal (and its modern derivatives). It does not need CTFE
because it cannot do compile-time introspection, which is one of
the pillar of metaprog I'd say (other pillars are template, CTFE).

Without CT reflection, CTFE would be just a bit more useful than
folding.