D programming language popularity

random random at spaml.de
Wed Nov 4 23:44:04 UTC 2020

This kind of thread seems to pop up once in a while in this
forum. I read threads in this forum a lot more than i participate
in the discussion but now I'll give my 2 cents. Don't take it too
seriously.

Disclaimer: While I will write only negative aspects below, D is
actually the language I like most from all I have tried (C, C++,
C#, Swift, Python). It has it's quirks but other languages are
also far from perfect.

1. Librarys:
- There are not a lot libraries and if you find one it will most
probably not compile.

- If you find a working library the documentation is likely bad.
You always hear the argument: "It's open source, you can help out
writing documentation".
This is hilarious because if I want to write documentation for
your library, I have to read and understand your code first. I
will need 10-100x more time than the one who wrote the library.
The whole point of abstraction is that you abstract away the
implementation. If i have to read your source to use your library
it's just pointless.

2. It's too close to C++ to be worth the drawback:
- If you plan writing a serious long living project C++ is just a
much safer choice.
Yes C++ looks ugly and D corrected a lot of bad design decisions,
but both languages are still very similar. If you hold your nose
and write C++ you will benefit from all the tooling and ecosystem.

3. Garbage Collector:
- If you can live with GC there are nice alternatives. Kotlin
looks promising.
C# is also a really decent language in my opinion (and cross
platform with .net 5).
A language compiling to native code with system level features
and a GC is just a strange niche. You can turn of the GC but then
you can't use all of the language anymore. I can't imagine a
situation in which i really have to use a native language but
want a GC...