D programming language popularity

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Nov 5 06:58:31 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 4 November 2020 at 23:44:04 UTC, random wrote:

> 3. Garbage Collector:
> - If you can live with GC there are nice alternatives. Kotlin
> looks promising.
> C# is also a really decent language in my opinion (and cross
> platform with .net 5).
> A language compiling to native code with system level features
> and a GC is just a strange niche. You can turn of the GC but
> then you can't use all of the language anymore. I can't imagine
> a situation in which i really have to use a native language but
> want a GC...

Maybe you specifically don't, but the US navy seem to be quite at
home with it.

https://www.ptc.com/en/blogs/plm/ptc-perc-virtual-machine-technology-at-the-of-aegis-the-shield-of-the-fleet

"Given the need for predictable and reliable compliance with
sub-millisecond timing constraints, Lockheed Martin evaluated a
number of alternative approaches to real-time Java.
Ultimately, they chose to use the PTC Perc Ultra virtual machine
(formerly called Aonix Perc Ultra), both in single-core and
multi-core configurations. This technology adds real-time
determinism to Standard Edition Java APIs by incorporating
real-time garbage collection, fixed-priority real-time
scheduling, prioritized queues and priority inheritance locks
within the implementation of the virtual machine."

Just one example among others that I can point out for PTC and
Aicas, which despite being JVMs, also support bare metal
deployments for this kind of targets, thus as native as anything
else that AOT compiles to native code with a language runtime.

Then there are these products:

Astrobe selling Oberon devkits for ARM, Cortex-M3, Cortex-M4,
Cortex-M7 and now RISC-V, in business for about 20 years.

https://www.astrobe.com/Oberon.htm

F-Secure using their own Go port for secure firmware, among them
their own computer on an USB key, USB Armory

https://www.f-secure.com/en/consulting/foundry/usb-armory

So there is a market, even if you personally don't care about it.