D programming language popularity

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 12:51:04 UTC 2020

On Monday, 12 October 2020 at 10:34:17 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> Despite the popularity, the way I think is that with D I'm able
> to out compete people who would otherwise use C++ or similar. I
> can produce a solution faster which is also more stable.
+1

This is such an obviously transparent point and it's not made
enough. I sometimes sit and think, I'm going to write library X
in C++. A couple of days later I'm thinking, why am I wasting my
time writing C++, when D is obviously the much better and more
productive option, and much more pleasureable to write!? I park
the C++ code and continue in D. I did this a few of times some
time ago and now I don't bother with C++.

If D didn't exist, I'd be writing Nim, and if Nim didn't exist,
I'd be writing Chapel or Rust before C++. I'm not even sure it's
responsible to write C++ code anymore.