Pandas like features

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:17:12 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 5 November 2020 at 22:02:25 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 November 2020 at 20:22:45 UTC, data pulverizer
> wrote:
>
>> 1. If I had to do this, I would first decide on a collection
>> of common data structures to share starting with
>> *compositions* of R/Python/Julia style multi-dimensional
>> arrays - contiguous arrays with basic element types with a
>> dimensional information in form of another array. So a 2x3
>> double matrix is a double array of length 6 with another long
>> array containing [2, 3]. R has externalptr, Julia can
>> interface with pointers, as can Python.
>
> R has externalptr, but to my knowledge, that's only for
> transporting around C objects. I don't know of any way to call
> R API functions with data not allocated by R.

Yes but you make C calls in R on the pointed object. Given the
choice that's how I would write any application in R. The only
purpose R would serve is as an interface to the underlying dlls.
I have many years of writing code in R and from my experience,
apart from minor instances I would try to avoid writing
production libraries or code in it.