Allow this() { } for structs

Q. Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 16:53:32 UTC 2020

On Friday, 6 November 2020 at 09:54:23 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> I do not understand what purpose the lack of this() serves. I
> mean, I understand what purpose it serves, it's so T.init is
> always equivalent to T(), but I don't understand what purpose
> *that* serves. T.init is *already* not a valid constructed T if
> you want to use any invariants and/or call any methods at all.
> We *already* can't treat them equivalently regardless, so from
> my perspective the ban on T() serves no purpose.

I understand the reasons. Type.init is nice to have for all
types, but, unfortunately, life isn't fair and Type.init is
garbage for some types, not only those with invariants. One could
argue---and I'm leaning towards that side at least
somewhat---that an invalid Type.init is worse than Type.init not
existing for all types. If a generic algorithm won't work without
Type.init then it won't work with all types. Generic algorithms
not working with all types, but only those that provide specific
things, is nothing new.

In my opinion, if for a struct T, T() isn't @disabled and
defined, if it is pure, the compiler can reasonably say:

     enum init = T();

If T's this() isn't pure, T.init cannot exist. Use cases where
this() wouldn't be pure are probably rare anyway. As a first
step, the compiler could disallow impure this() at all. That
being said, debug{} could be used to do something at construction
in an impure manner.