D programming language popularity

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:04:33 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 8 November 2020 at 14:21:25 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> Would it be possible to tune the existing GC to control how
> much garbage is collected? I mean, for instance, to tell the GC
> to label objects as garbage as normal, but only to collect so
> much at a time. The others would be saved to be collected later.

Drop destructors and then you dont have to do much explicit
collection.

But the tracing is still expensive. You can try to do separation
at the type level and use ideas from generational, but it will
only work sometimes and you need global analysis.

Thread local collection + global refcounting is a better fit for
D.

Or just ARC, which I would prefer if done with global static
analysis.