DMD as cross-compiler

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 11 10:49:54 UTC 2020

I realized that DMD is pretty close to being a cross-compiler, and won't need
much work to go the rest of the way. I anticipate it could be very convenient
when inconvenient to get the native DMD installed. It also should be useful for
debugging problems with test suite failures :-/

Much of the static versioning in the backend is the result of converting it from
C with its #if statements. Being done with all that preprocessor legacy will be
nice.

Working on a series of incremental PRs to make this happen.