Is .NET 5.0 and C# 9 a "threat" to D?

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 17:05:52 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 16:04:21 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> 1. Users themselves target .NET to their own proprietary system?

I fail to parse that question. I'm afraid. Do you mean to ask
whether .NET users are porting the runtime to other operating
systems themselves?

> 2. What is the license?

Most of .NET is licensed under MIT. It is my understanding that
the entirety of the cross-platform code is released under that
license. I do not know whether the Windows Desktop version of the
runtime includes extra components that are still proprietary.

> 3. When you compile to native code, how much extra do you need
> to add in your distribution and what will the total size be.
> 4. Can you target bare metal targets?

Not yet. There's a toolchain in the making that has been
demonstrated to compile small C# programs down to standalone
executables with size less than 1MB. Going from there to bare
metal should be quite doable, but footprint would very likely
still be an issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the
source anymore.

I think most of that work is supposed to be formally released in
.NET 6.0.