Better branding of -betterC

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 18:33:39 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 18:07:08 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:39:53 UTC, Paul Backus
> wrote:
>>
>> SumType is both type-safe and memory-safe, if that's what
>> you're asking.
>
> Hi no, my point was that it not being a language feature means
> that people have to consciously use it. And that means it is
> probably not going to be.

I don't think it's quite so black-and-white. Sure, a language
feature is more convenient to use than a dub package, but it's
not by a huge amount--and in both cases, you have to make a
conscious choice to use them. I don't think sumtype is any harder
to use in your code than something like `@safe`, for example.

> Also the compiler cannot assist you in making this choice.

I'm not aware of any compiler, for any language, than can provide
this kind of assistance. Until we invent AIs that can write code
for us, we programmers are going to be stuck making our own
choices. :)