Would the ownership model make D lang as complicated as Rust?

tsbockman thomas.bockman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 20:44:10 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 14 November 2020 at 12:00:32 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 November 2020 at 08:36:56 UTC, joe wrote:
>> Can I replace the GC model with the ownership model?
>
> Certain D features *few of them actually) are built with GC
> code so you can't swap them out. Unless there is a no-GC
> third-party alternative library you can plug in and use.

None of the D features that require the GC are essential; all can
be replaced by alternative techniques, although *some* are more
complex and error-prone. The only thing that can't be done
without the D GC, is interfacing with library code that assumes
its availability.

Given that D can interface with C libraries (and some C++) rather
easily, there really are no show-stoppers for @nogc D. It's just
extra work to get it right, and shouldn't be done without a good
reason.