[OT] On the Expressive Power of Programming Languages

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 01:01:09 UTC 2020

What do we mean when we say that one programming language is
"more expressive" than another? Is it just a matter of opinion
and personal taste, or is there some underlying objective truth?
And is more expressiveness necessarily a good thing?

Based on a 1991 paper by Matthias Felleisen, this presentation by
Shriram Krishnamurthi is an accessible and easy-to-digest
introduction to some of the programming-language theory that goes
into answering the above questions. If you have even a passing
interest in programming-language design, it's well worth your
time to give this a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43XaZEn2aLc