[OT] On the Expressive Power of Programming Languages

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Nov 15 04:30:55 UTC 2020

On 15.11.20 02:40, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> Rust seems to be the first and only language where the lifetime of
> objects in memory can be expressed at compile time.

It only seems that way because it is the first and only one that was
marketed to you.

http://web.cs.ucla.edu/~palsberg/tba/papers/tofte-talpin-iandc97.pdf

In programming languages, theory is quite far ahead of and detached from
practice. I would be surprised to find any type theory concept that is
less than 20 years old in any popular language.