Is .NET 5.0 and C# 9 a "threat" to D?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Nov 17 16:57:12 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 16:04:21 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> 1. Users themselves target .NET to their own proprietary system?
> 2. What is the license?
> 3. When you compile to native code, how much extra do you need
> to add in your distribution and what will the total size be.
> 4. Can you target bare metal targets?

5. Support for public code generators.

This means in practice if C# can be compiled to native code, then
it must support either LLVM or GCC code generators. If not you
are pretty much in the hands of Microsoft and what they want to
support. In the future we will see new CPU architecture become
more popular like RISC V. If MS doesn't want to support that then
C# is a less viable choice compared to D which potentially can
support all the targets LLVM and GCC can.