Would the ownership model make D lang as complicated as Rust?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Nov 18 01:20:15 UTC 2020

On 18/11/2020 2:14 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/15/2020 1:21 AM, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> If you could turn on @live for specific variables, then there would be
>> a point.
>
> I considered that, and concluded that it was too inconvenient to be used
> widely.

Unfortunately this is the kind of memory safety that users, as in
non-programmers care about.

They don't want zombie processes with ghost windows that they can't do
anything with on top of every other window.

It is one thing for an individual program to misbehave, it is another
for it to hurt the system.