Pathological import symbol shadowing

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:14:44 UTC 2020

On Friday, 13 November 2020 at 22:57:03 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Just ran into this today:
>
> 	void main() {
> 		int[string] aa;
> 		int x;
>
> 		x = aa.get("abc", 123);	// OK
>
> 		import std;
> 		x = aa.get("abc", 123);	// Error: template std.net.curl.get
> cannot deduce function from argument types ...
>
> 		import std, object;
> 		x = aa.get("abc", 123);	// OK
> 	}
>
> I know there's technically an explanation of this in terms of
> how the compiler implements import, but seriously, this is
> extremely annoying and confusing behaviour.  Especially because
> the symbol being hijacked comes from the implicitly-imported
> object.d.  Newbies wouldn't even *know* where to look if they
> encountered this error.
>
> D's import implementation was supposed to be designed to
> prevent symbol hijacking, but in this case it's falling flat on
> its face.
>
> Why can't we make it so that symbols that aren't explicitly
> named on the import line would add to existing overload sets
> instead of replacing them?

This is why our style guide doesn't allow unqualified imports in
functions. The more I think about it, the more I suspect function
local imports were just a mistake to begin with.

Bouncing back from module scope into import scope is just
fundamentally bad for understandability. The set of relevant
symbols goes from "all the ones imported" to "all the ones in the
module" back to "all the ones imported" again, with imports
shadowing local functions, which is exactly the opposite of what
should happen.

Putting aside how Walter is completely correct that "import std"
was a mistake, I'd go further and also remove unqualified module
imports completely. There's a set of features that are good for
writing but bad for reading. Generally as time goes on, people
discover those features are bad ideas, but because writing comes
before reading, everyone thinks they're a good idea at first, so
languages are doomed to reinvent them.