Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 18 22:05:40 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 17:23:17 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 16:13:20 UTC, Jack wrote:
>> So I find out jonathan Blow is devloping his own programming
>> language, because "C++ is wild mess". I know pretty much
>> nothing about game dev and I was wondering if D could be used
>> in the way Jonathan Blow would like to? Anyone experienced on
>> game dev stuff could answer this? as far I know, the jai's
>> compiler is not ready yet.Maybe let him know about D language,
>> assuming it fits its game needs, would be interesting?
>
> I wrote an email after the first Jai video to to try D but Jon
> Blow just said:
> "D is fine but it's not exactly what I'm looking for".
>
> Blow seems to think there is a lot of native design space with
> plenty of things that would make a way better language than D.
>
> He then went on to repeat many mistakes successfully avoided by
> D:
> - new syntax
> - lack of exceptions
> - AST macros
> - the SoA and AoS features can be replicated with one D template
> - imperative build system
> - unsafe CTFE
> - "Jai will not have subtype polymorphism", let that sink in
>

> Just a reminder than Blow is a bit extreme, he goes all in
> financially and almost went bankrupted for both Braid and the
> Witness.

I don't think that those are mistakes if implemented properly.
Implementation quality is key.

Jai is already much faster than dmd is because it has a proper
task and dependency system.
(Like SDC but more sophisticated.)

Personally I want to move dmd in a similar direction, but with
the sprawling un-documented dependencies it's almost impossible
to do.