Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 13:45:27 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 13:32:13 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 13:25:33 UTC, starcanopy wrote:
>>
>> If I recall well, he made a video about Rust, golang, and D in
>> the context of game development, and the crux of the issue is
>> that each of these languages are too opinionated for him--or
>> at least incorrectly opinionated.
>
> Can you explain what it means when a language is "opinionated".
> If I'm going to guess it means that Jonathan Blow doesn't like
> a language that he doesn't have full control over?

golang: GC, interfacing with other languages is not smooth,
dynamic arrays that reallocates, a very specific concurrency
model, basically useless for games. Messed up exceptions.

Rust: you are basically forced to model with tree-like structures
and optimizing backpointers and other shortcuts are an issue. The
syntax is peculiar. The language is essentially built around one
specific feature, if that feature does not solve you problems,
then it is a misfit.

Dlang: the forums are a testament to where it is opinionated, but
the bigger issue is that the language is dominated by conflicting
design goals (or goals that have changed over time).