Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

starcanopy starcanopy at protonmail.com
Thu Nov 19 13:50:36 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 13:32:13 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 13:25:33 UTC, starcanopy wrote:
>>
>> If I recall well, he made a video about Rust, golang, and D in
>> the context of game development, and the crux of the issue is
>> that each of these languages are too opinionated for him--or
>> at least incorrectly opinionated.
>
> Can you explain what it means when a language is "opinionated".
> If I'm going to guess it means that Jonathan Blow doesn't like
> a language that he doesn't have full control over?

I found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ .
And I was mistaken: it's not "opinionated," it's "big agenda",
and it isn't the only criterion by which he judges a language.
So, as an example, Rust is considered to have a "big agenda"
(borrow checker), or insufficiently-tested mandate. Funnily
enough, D is too similar to C++. The latter is something that
appears on this very newsgroup from time-to-time: D is a nicer
C++, but its differences and advantages aren't appropriately
significant to warrant a change.
Aside: This video is only three years old, and my mind already
distorted it. Scary stuff.