Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:32:36 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 16:13:20 UTC, Jack wrote:
> So I find out jonathan Blow is devloping his own programming
> language, because "C++ is wild mess". I know pretty much
> nothing about game dev and I was wondering if D could be used
> in the way Jonathan Blow would like to? Anyone experienced on
> game dev stuff could answer this? as far I know, the jai's
> compiler is not ready yet.Maybe let him know about D language,
> assuming it fits its game needs, would be interesting?

Jonathan Blow repeatedly states in his streams that GC is simply
not acceptable in a games programming language. So that is a
blocker when it comes to D.

It is hard to judge without having access to Jai, but my
impression is that most of what Jai has is available in D already:

1. Compile time programming
2. Fast compile times

With regards to innovations in Jai, I think the main one that
stood out to me is that it has knowledge of temp memory
allocators - so you can kind of allocate temp memory without
worrying about it, but you have to do something to clean it all
up.

Re libraries Jonathan seems to hold the view that the library
should be in source form and be built along with the project, as
he wants builds to be totally controlled.

Another philosophical point is that the language should not hide
the gory details of computers - it should not have layers of
abstraction that gives a false sense of security. Jonathan
believes that many programmers don't realize how slow their
programs are because they are so far removed from how the
computer operates.

I certainly think a cut-down version of D could compete with Jai.
That is the motivation for my Laser-D project.