Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:20:51 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 17:38:16 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 17:31:30 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 14:32:36 UTC, Dibyendu
>> Majumdar wrote:
>>> I certainly think a cut-down version of D could compete with
>>> Jai. That is the motivation for my Laser-D project.
>>
>> Zig is kinda a cut down version too though, where the design
>> goal is to not have language features that are
>> non-transparent. Sadly, that also results in no overloading of
>> functions by parameter types (IIRC).
>>
>> What stands most out with D is that it is trying to be
>> jack-of-all-trades, which often means that you end up being
>> master-of-none. My impression is that Jai tries to turn that
>> around and be master-of-one-but-not-for-everyone. So, clearly
>> it will be very opinionated...
>>
>> I suspect that Jai will fit one way of modelling better than
>> others. Quite frankly, I would not really want to use a low
>> level language without solid RAII.
>>
>> What I dislike about some of these new languages, Go, Zig, Jai
>> etc is that they seem to insist on going backwards on some
>> design-parameters based on "ideological opinion" rather than
>> sensible modelling concerns. So that makes me think: "ok, why
>> are we going back to the 1980s here?".
>
> The whole jack of all trades thing is really a an assumption,
> i.e. D is just better than C++ in more than one area but people
> are trained to believe you can't have a multitasking language -
> C is fast, Python is short etc - the way we teach programmers
> is a complete monoculture in language design.

+1

I believe that future D, or a non-backward-compatible successor,
will be more than competitive across the entirety of the
programming landscape.  Pay-as-you-go + ridiculously good
metaprogramming capabiity == master-of-nearly-all.

D may not be able to get there, better-than-Rust safety and
opt-in-ultra-low-latency GC are two features, among others, where
the future looks a little iffy, but D surely points the way.

Counter examples showing how it is impossible to advance D to
become master-of-nearly-all are requested.  Counter examples
showing how it is impossible for any language to be
master-of-nearly-all are also requested.