Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 23:43:01 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 17:38:16 UTC, Max Haughton wrote:
> The whole jack of all trades thing is really a an assumption,
> i.e. D is just better than C++ in more than one area but people
> are trained to believe you can't have a multitasking language -
> C is fast, Python is short etc - the way we teach programmers
> is a complete monoculture in language design.

It isn't an assumption. The question is whether the features are
worth the costs, but it is quite undeniable that features have a
cost. For instance, some aspects of Python are not used by most
programs in any significant way. So you can make a language that
is somewhat faster covering the same ground, as long as you
exclude those not-so-frequently exploited aspects of the language.