Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 18:22:47 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 16:13:20 UTC, Jack wrote:
> So I find out jonathan Blow is devloping his own programming
> language, because "C++ is wild mess". I know pretty much
> nothing about game dev and I was wondering if D could be used
> in the way Jonathan Blow would like to? Anyone experienced on
> game dev stuff could answer this? as far I know, the jai's
> compiler is not ready yet.Maybe let him know about D language,
> assuming it fits its game needs, would be interesting?

So, outside of Manu, I may very well be the only person that has
spoken to Jonathan at length about D and Jai. He has in fact been
an audience member for one of my D talks.

He's a pure engineer. And his coding style is still very heavily
entrenched in the C way of doing things. End result is that he's
writing a language to fill a gap that he sees. It's a better C
(fancy that), with some features that we'd have to write library
solutions for to get equivalent code.

I've shipped D code in a console game, but there's still things
that need to be done before we can move D in to widespread
adoption. Others are way more actively working on these things
than I am. I wouldn't expect Jonathan to switch gears on this.
And you know what? That's healthy. One of the things I pointed
out in my DConf 2017 talk was that his perspective is "I just
want to write code" and whenever I try to do heavy compile time
code in D (be it templates or CTFE) I'm constantly battling the
compiler and the language to get it to do what I want it to do.
We've still got a ways to go to hit that painless level of
language use, and there's someone out there that's actively
trying to achieve that with their own language. It's a goal we
should strive for.

(That's a sneaky way of saying "type functions when?")