Vibe-D Installation on Ubuntu x86 20.04

Selim Ozel sozel at wpi.edu
Sat Nov 21 22:15:46 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 18:40:38 UTC, Selim Ozel wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 23:13:39 UTC, Selim Ozel
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 22:25:50 UTC, Petar Kirov
>> [ZombineDev] wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you building locally, or on Amazon (say EC2 instance)?
>>> Also, are you mentioned "x86" in the title, but you are on a
>>> 64-bit OS, right?
>>> Have you checked the memory usage during this build step?
>>> It's likely the machine you're building on doesn't have
>>> sufficient RAM and maybe swapping (which could cause
>>> compiling to be orders of magnitude slower.
>>
>> I am building on EC2! I'll check the RAM usage etc ...
>> tomorrow. That might be it. Thanks.

> Ramping up the memory limit of the instance to 8 gig solved it
> for me. Thanks so much for this tip.
>
> Best,

I have a follow up on this and I didn't want to create another
topic for it. The simple hello world app I build with vibe-d does
not seem to work on the second compile+execution. It throws a
failed to listen on port/address error on console. I think it is
the same error as in [1]. Although the commit in [2] hasn't
seemed to fixed it for me. I appreciate any pointers.

I was also thinking about writing a tutorial about deployment on
EC2 Ubuntu 20.04. Does anyone think that would be helpful?

Best,
Selim

[1]
https://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.vibed/thread/3480/