Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:49:03 UTC 2020

On Monday, 23 November 2020 at 12:36:07 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> It is always about theory, in practice tracing GC always wins.

That really depends, but a tracing GC is easier to use, as it
catches cycles. So it would be better to have an incremental
collector.

But I don't think D can get there within 5 years, and do people
want to discuss what D could have in 5 years?  I think we need to
figure out what the time frame should be.

You could get non-optimized ARC in 6 months.
And basic optimized ARC in 12 months.
Optimized ARC in 18 months.
Opiimized ARC with borrow checker in 24 months.

That is a lot more attractive IMO.

Open Source should focus on strategies which can be done as small
incremental steps and ARC can be made compatible with
std::shared_ptr when it is allocated with std::make_shared. That
is a big plus.