Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:58:58 UTC 2020

On Monday, 23 November 2020 at 12:05:14 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> But as Ola has said, there are down sides to this approach once
> you start needing performance.

Rikki, I want to add that I don't argue that it shouldn't be the
default.  I was arguing in the context of games and other
demanding low latency, high memory, computation applications.

Your fork-collector could be excellent for most GUI applications
that are mostly based on D code. For instance, a GUI application
can detect that the user is inactive and trigger a fork.

It could also work for turn-based games.