Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Nov 25 06:21:21 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 25 November 2020 at 05:55:39 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> This is a step in the right direction, but as usual, when will
> we see the results?
>
> - GC that doesn't eat my precious memory
>
> - GC that doesn't stop the world
>
> - GC that doesn't affect the frame budget for a game
>

> That is it, requirements are simple
>
> I agree and i hear, GC is welcome in D, so be proud of it, and
> make it great! if nobody can, then drop it and implement some
> sort of ARC/RC what ever it is called, that would be better
> than having something that stop the world
>
> Whoever has GC knowledge, open a patreon account and i'll give
> you my money

ARC/RC also stops the world, hence the typical optimization to
move the referenced data to a background thread when the
reference count reaches zero for cleanup, and use of
deferred/hazardous pointers.

Which when coupled with a couple of other optimizations, it
becomes hardly indistinguishable from basic tracing GC algorithms.