Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Guillaume Piolat first.name at guess.com
Wed Nov 25 09:05:16 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 25 November 2020 at 07:58:13 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> Unity moving to incremental GC
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fks2NArDc0

I love the irony there.

Two top game engines in the world use garbage collection (Unity,
Unreal), and the problem they _had_ is: a missed frame 60fps to
30fps (I wouldn't be able to see it). The example to show this is
of course a FPS game where players can see this. It's not a
common game genre to make for most companies if I understand.

That problem would probably be solvable will less memory
allocation. But it hurts developer experience so the engine deals
with that. "The GC is perfectly adequate in high-performance
scenario" would be a logical conclusion.

BUT In the blogging and recruiting world though, Amazon will say
on the AWS blog that
"Because Rust does not require a runtime or garbage collector, it
is able to achieve runtime performance similar to C and C++."
https://aws.amazon.com/fr/blogs/opensource/why-aws-loves-rust-and-how-wed-like-to-help/

People really do like the idea that GC prevents top performance,
disregarding that _Fortnite_ has a garbage collector.