Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 14:32:47 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 25 November 2020 at 14:24:08 UTC, aberba wrote:
> 🤷‍♂️ Can't change your opinion about JavaScript. I know 100s of
> online games (including MMORPGs) are using it. So D with GC can
> totally do it too.

I am not discussing JavaScript, the Chrome team has put a massive
effort into improving the bad situation with dropped frames over
the past years for good reason. Their GC is in a different
ballpark than D.

Consistency is king, 30hz without dropped frames is perceived as
more fluid than 60hz with dropped frames. A sidescroller with
fixed speed looks like a trainwreck if you get dropped frames.