About whether D / rust / golang can be popular.

Guillaume Piolat first.name at guess.com
Thu Nov 26 11:06:11 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 05:46:59 UTC, zoujiaqing wrote:
> Whether a programming language can be popular depends on what?
>
> I think there are two important points, that is, killing skills
> and availability. At the same time pay attention to
> shortcomings.

The _one_ factor that made C++ win against its competition -
despite its shortcomings - is by far that it could already
compile your C code. So it's an easier sell if you can just
change the compiler.

You can't convince to change language someone who has already an
existing codebase, it would just make life worse in most of cases.