Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:16:21 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 07:36:04 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 23:10:41 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>
> The easy path to fast GC with LLVM is single threaded.

But only if the thread has low memory footprint. The downside of
a fast scan is that it may wipe out all caches, thus slowing down
nongc threads.

To combat that you either need memory barriers to get incremental
collection, which most likely require a language change, or you
can only collect very slowly.

So well, ARC.