Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Nov 27 09:16:57 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 09:00:02 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 08:11:40 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Better be usable at game servers or game related pipeline
>> tooling, than not being used anywhere, but I guess the
>> community is fine with Go, Java and C# owning that piece of
>> the pie.
>
> Why would one of the current GCs be a problem on a server?
>
> Memory? Well, in that case Rust will win.

It wouldn't, hence why I think it is better outcome focusing on
proving a good experience on engines like Godot, similar to what
C# already enjoys today.

Making this https://github.com/sheepandshepherd/godot-d-plugin
appear here
https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/plugins/editor/making_plugins.html, would do so much more for adopting D in game development circles than yet another half baked attempt to reboot the GC.

Meanwhile, indie devs will start with something like Godot,
search the web for how to continue, land on
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/apps/games and carry on from there,
regardless of what the community keeps trying to do to atract an
imaginary set of game developers, because "booooo GC".