btdu - a sampling disk usage profiler for btrfs (written in D)

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:41:54 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 10:31:21 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> Right, so that's another imposed limitation of such a GC. You'd
> still also lose the ability to memcpy or memset a struct that
> had managed pointers, as that would break the reference count
> that the GC relies on to work. It would definitely solve the
> performance problem, but it would be such a radical change that
> it would essentially be a different language (and debatedly no
> longer a system-programming one).

I think it is no different than shared_ptr. I also think one can
add some safety through global pointer analysis for existing
code.  Let the pinning be done by a counter, when you pin the
object you get a smartpointer borrowed_ptr... when the count goes
to zero, the object is local again.