Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Guillaume Piolat first.name at guess.com
Fri Nov 27 14:56:03 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 09:16:57 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Meanwhile, indie devs will start with something like Godot,
> search the web for how to continue, land on
> https://dotnet.microsoft.com/apps/games and carry on from
> there, regardless of what the community keeps trying to do to
> atract an imaginary set of game developers, because "booooo GC".

+1

It's all about having top-down libraries that nails one domain.
- having a library that allows to do X where X is not trivial
- **with a nice API**, this is the styling on the car
- being willing to manage/engage a community around that lib
- having a plan for monetization

Godot has incredibly nice API.
It can make 2D games.
It's quite innovative with the nested pre-fab, however it's not
sure it's a big factor in its success.
It needs dedication!

Libraries are like products, they must sell some big goal, not
"parse this format" which is a bottom-up approach. Products are
top-down.