Garbage Collection and gamedev - tl;dr Yes we want it, so let's solve it

Guillaume Piolat first.name at guess.com
Fri Nov 27 20:41:33 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 15:08:38 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Friday, 27 November 2020 at 14:56:03 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> It's all about having top-down libraries that nails one domain.
>> - having a library that allows to do X where X is not trivial
>> - **with a nice API**, this is the styling on the car
>
> Yes, but that is not a language feature.

I'm not discounting that D is a nice language (if people say they
can't use anything else after knowing D, that says a lot really),
I'm saying that the traits that make people switch to a new
language are desirable properties of the _library they want to
use_, more than the language.
It has been proven in research papers about programming language
adoption.

> If you want to create a framework like that you are better off
> stripping down flutter and implement the gameworld in Dart:
> instant support for ios, android and web.

Soft disagree. This sounds to me like a high-debt solution.
If you make a game engine for example, cost of making N games is
O(N), but cost of having a new platform is O(1). If added value
flow to the game engine properly, you _will_ end up having
support for all platforms needed.

You can totally start with only one platform (aka segmentation),
actually Unity has started with a one plateform:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/17/how-unity-built-the-worlds-most-popular-game-engine

> Its story began on an OpenGL forum in May 2002, where Francis
> posted a call for collaborators on an open source
> shader-compiler (graphics tool) for the niche population of
> Mac-based game developers like himself. It was Ante, then a
> high school student in Berlin, who responded.

Unity had one platform and solved a smaller problem.